Monday, March 9, 2009

World Go Manual: Witness


By the grace of God, I was saved from a life and eternity separated from Him, I get to live with Himforever. If it were not for Him, I would be a horrible person, and my life – I’m sure – would be awful to match. But instead, I’m blessed with an amazing husband, a lovely house, parents who love Jesus, and knowledge that I’m following Him every step of the way. Why is it that I am not so overcome with gratitude that I tell every single person I meet about Him?

Chapter 2 of the World Go Manual deals with this issue of witnessing: “It is a wrenching, soul-bearing experience to tell other people who Jesus Christ is and what He means for us and for the world…Talk about how Christ has changed your heart. You are the world’s leading expert on that subject.”
The action step I chose was "Become a witness for Christ online." In my daily life, I don’t know very many non-Christians. I work for a Christian organization, my family are all believers, and most of my free time is spent at church or with my friends, most of whom are Christians. One of the reasons I started doing theatre at Marion Civic was because I wanted to feel like a missionary again, and I’ve met several people through that who needed Christ. I turned to Facebook, which is where I have most contact with my non-Christian friends. Most of my spiritual talks happened on the phone, but Facebook helps keep constant contact going.

One of the questions in the action step was, “Were your efforts successful at reaching anyone?” My response to that was: I’ve been able to communicate the truth about Jesus and what he has done for me. The rest is up to God.

There’s an awesome story about a guy in Sydney, Australia who witnessed on George Street. In the 1990’s, a British pastor started meeting people who all had the same testimony – they were given a tract by a old man and asked where they would go if they died tonight. He met people in India, the US, England, the Caribbean, Australia - all had the same testimony. Eventually, this pastor travelled to Sydney, and was able to meet Frank Jenner, the George Street witness. As he told Mr Jenner these stories of missionaries, pastors, and others who had come to Christ because of his witness, Mr Jenner started to weep. For 40 years, he had faithfully witnessed to people out of gratitude for the change Christ made in his life, but he had never known anyone to come to Him during that time. He just knew that’s what he was supposed to do, so he did. He obeyed God, and left the results up to Him.

No comments: