Monday, January 5, 2009

Of Life Lessons and Cats


My cat, Chai, HATES being held.

Which is annoying, because she’s very cute. She’s a beautiful “blue-and-cream” calico. (Thus saithed the pet shop tag on her cage) Chai will jump on the bed and curl up at my feet, and she’ll let me scratch her ears, and maybe play with her a bit – but only on HER terms. And when she’s done, she’s done. If you pick her up, she’ll go all stiff for a few seconds, and then start struggling, all the while wimpering piteously.

As I said, it’s annoying. Because I love holding soft, warm things, and Chai is a soft, warm thing that purrs.

Basically, I can look forward to holding her once a year. That’s when we go to the vet. The whole expedition is fraught with trauma as far as Lady (Other cat. Black shorthair. Looks like a demon when she’s mad) and Chai are concerned. First, they are stuffed in the kitty carrier (“Mew, mew!”), then a 5-minute car drive (“MMRROOOWWW!!), a brief pause in the waiting room that is inevitably inhabited by a spastic puppy (“Hisssssssss!!”), and finally a 10 minute wait in the exam room. (both cats now scared spitless)

When the vet finally comes in to do what needs to be done, poor little miss-I-don’t-like-to-be-held Chai is clinging to me and burrowing in my arms like the world is going to end. She doesn't stop until we're back, safe, at home. The other day, I was counting the months until her next vet appointment, and I started thinking, is this how I can be with God?

Do I tend to only spend time with God on my own terms, not allowing him to sometimes scoop me up in His arms without me planning it? But then when I DO want to be in His arms, I cling as hard as I possibly can, as if I never want to be let go. Only to back away as soon as my world falls back into place.

Lord, help me to quit loving you like a cat!

And I'm a girl who loves her cats.

No comments: