Sunday, April 19, 2009

Devon Street Happenin'

We're up in Wheaton, outside Chicago, this weekend visiting Steve's brother Phil. We always have an interesting time when we're up here, and this weekend was no exception. Chicago has this awesome area around Devon Street, which is sort of like a Little India. A whole bunch of Indian restaurants, shops, and mosques are clustered within a few blocks. It's a glorious place. I had been there a few times before I'd gotten married, but that was like, almost six years ago. So, this weekend, I made it clear to the menfolk that I wanted to go to Devon Street.

We got there around dinnertime last night, just as Friday evening prayers were getting out at the little mosque we parked next to. It's strange that there's a place in the States that makes me immediately feel very much at home. And all I had to do was walk down a street. (Well, and drive about four hours)

We spotted a nice grocery store to visit after dinner, and then went to Tiffin Restaurant, which kind of means "lunchbox." I remember going there before a long time ago, but it was for lunch, and the place turns a lot swankier for the dinner crowd! It was unbelievably good - we ordered chicken tikka, veg curry, naan, and chicken korma. They gave us an eggplant curry too, as an extra. So good. Words cannot describe the amazingness. I was in curry heaven.

We finally stumbled out, and went to "Himalaya Grocery." I happily browsed around, gathering spices, dhal, henna, and bags of rice. When we were checking out, the shopkeeper chatted with us about what brand of rice was best, that mango juice was best served cold, etc. I asked her where she was from (She had an Indian accent, she was wearing a hijab, and she had brown skin) and she smiled at us and said, "Mexico." I laughed, thinking she was joking with us, and then she said,"No really, I am. My husband is from Hyderabad, though." We talked a bit more about how she and her husband met, and as we were leaving, she said, "Here - just a small gift," and handed us three little boxes of tea. How cute was that?

Everyone should go to Devon Street.

1 comment:

Steve Elwood said...

In point of fact, it's actually Devon Avenue, although we've been calling it Devon Street for years. Anyways, I think it's weird, because it definitely feels more like a street than an avenue.