Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Prayer Calendars and the Girl Who Compiled Them


No matter how much you love your job, they all have the busy work and things you just have to do. I love my job, I really do. But for the last couple days, pretty much all I’ve worked on is the prayer calendars for the website, where we list a missionary, support staff member, MK, and college-aged MK on each day. I had been compiling them month by month, but my boss decided (and I agree with her) that it would be good to have the whole of 2009 available on the website to be printed out.

So what is usually a two-hour job has become….a lot more than that. Plus I’m reformatting the old Word files I inherited, cleaning up information, and rewriting some of the copy to sound less pompous. It’s not creative work at all, and I’m getting bored, something that really rarely happens with me. And several days in a row of it – with more to come – is getting to me a bit.

But what it HAS done is put the names of every WGM missionary, retiree, support staff member, and MK in front of me in a very short amount of time. Now that I’ve been here four years, I’ve gotten to know a lot of them, and even would call some of them friends. I could pretty much tell you what each missionary does – at least the basics. And as I’ve been typing, coping, pasting, editing, etc, I’ve realized anew how important prayer is to these guys. I know, it sounds all cliché-y. But I believe God truly gives certain people a burden to pray through these prayer calendars, praying for each person by name.

So, even though I’m still not enthralled with this project, I’m okay with it. Because it’s not about me. At all. And that’s a good feeling. Want to check out my handiwork? (Okay, that maybe was a little about me) The whole of 2009 one will be up....oh, you know...sometime.

No comments: