Monday, December 8, 2008

A funny thing happened while posting books on Half.com...

I have a bookstore in my home office. Sort of.

I started selling books on Half.com and Ebay last year, first getting rid of my old/unwanted books, and then books I found for cheap at yard sales, then my parents old/unwanted books, and now I'm selling books for my sister, a couple people at WGM, and now, the father of a friend of mine, herein called SF (Sara's father).

SF is a counsellor, and called me randomly one day to ask if I could sell a bunch of books for him. I said sure, giving him a few guidelines - they had to be in good condition, and should be relatively recent, like no older than 10 years.

I think he must have forgotten about those things, because I now have 12 boxes of books in varying degrees of intactedness, and some dating from 1957. Yikes. But I'm making the most of all that, selling what I can on Half.com and other book buyback sites like bluerectangle.com.

Now for my story. Most of SF's books are about counselling and mental issues. After a couple hours of seeing titles like "Female Sexual Psychology" and "First Person Plural : My Life As a Multiple" - ya know, your mind can start doing funny things. I picked up the next book in the box, and it was a beat-up paperback with a black cover and the title was in dark red letters, which spelled out "Self-Love."

And I was like, holy cow, did he send me a book about...???!!!?? (My mind was NOT in the gutter, it was just embroiled in psycho-babble titles!) But then I looked closer, and the author was Robert Schuller (of Chrystal Cathedral/Hour of Power fame). And the subtitle was something like "Your guide to loving yourself to success" or something equally inane.

Whew.

All that to say, if you are interested in any books about counselling, give me a holler! There's a link to my Half.com store on the right.

No comments: