Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Travel Bug


I’m pretty lucky to have a job that helps assuage my Travel Bug. As much as I sometimes gripe about being a low-level munchkin who doesn’t get to do the fun overseas travelling, the reality is, in the last twelve months, I’ve gotten to fly to three states for work purposes that I’d never been to before. The important thing is: being in an airport. I LOVE airports! Most TCK’s (third culture kids) would agree that airports are their favorite place to be.

Obviously, my preference is international travel. (I know, I sound like a snob, but I so dearly love to use my passport!) The good news is that I get to go to Peru in November! The real Peru, not the town about 20 minutes from here. (The locals tend to pronounce that one “Pee-ru”) My whole department is going to do a media work trip: we’re going to get video footage for a field video and web clips, photos for publicity use, web content, brochure content, stories, etc. Basically, anything media-related that we can do to help the missionaries, we’ll do.

Peru is a relatively new field to WGM; we only have three missionaries there right now in the city of Cuzco (Emperor’s New Groove flashback!). They are partnering with several national churches and working in humanitarian outreach. They’re all veteran missionaries from Bolivia, so they’re doing great as “pioneers.”

And for our day off, we’re going to see the Incan ruins at Machu Picchu! Man, I love my job! My only real concern for the trip is the altitude. Cuzco is really high – about 10,000 feet. And, well, I grew up in a place that was about six inches above sea level, and now I live in Indiana, which is, of course, known for its majestic peaks. The last time I was in a place that elevated, I got winded just turning over in bed. Fun times, let me tell you.

Maybe I should give my Travel Bug a name, like Hermie.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Congratulations! Whoop DEEE DOOO!!!! Whatever!


;)

Unknown said...

Wow! We would love to go with you to visit Macchu Picchu. That is great.