Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"Honor, virtue, and courage mean everything."

I was sick yesterday, so I stayed home and watched the movie Secondhand Lions. Even though Haley Joel Osment is as annoying as Michael Caine and Robert Duvall are awesome, I still love the movie. And - spoiler alert! - I cry every time the lion dies. Two great lines stood out to me. 1) "She died with her boots on." and 2)

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things that a man needs to believe in the most: that people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love, true love, never dies... No matter if they're true or not, a man should believe in those things because those are the things worth believing in."

I like the idea of living with honor, courage, and virtue being the hallmark of who I am, and of course, the goal of going out with a bang. (Steve and I joke about hiring a plane when we're 90 and crashing into a mountain - not unlike how the two old uncles kick it in the movie.) But it's hard to imagine being courageous when I spend about 40% of my day sitting in front of a computer. I did protect Steve from a stick-snake once, and one time I killed a bee that was about to dive-bomb a friend. I'm hardcore.

Sometimes I wonder when my moment will come, when I will find out if I really am courageous, honorable, etc. Maybe that's the point of BEING all that - you don't have to wait for your moment.

I always wanted a pet tiger, but I'd take a lion, too.

2 comments:

Jared said...

I enjoyed your post. I would say you are courageous. I haven't seen that movie, but it sounds good. I saw a good movie last weekend: "The Kite Runner." You will have to see it. Although good and inspiring, very sad in parts.

Annette said...

yeah, i love that movie too, and your second quote.
have bookmarked your blog.
looking forward to rhe modeling the new sizzling sari.

love, A. Annette :D